Board of Education Minutes 8/12/13
September 11, 2013
Unified School District #447
August 12, 2013
The Budget Hearing of the Cherryvale Unified School District #447 was called to order by Board President Gina Booe at 6:35 p.m. at the Central Office. Present were Robert John, John Potthast, Randy Studebaker, Joe Marchant, Gina Booe, and Cody Smith. Michelle Loganbill was absent.
Others present were Craig Bagshaw, Kim Martin, Donna Celaya, George Owens, Steve Pefley, Tonya Smedley, Scott Lambdin, Superintendent Randy Wagoner and Board Clerk Karen Conner.
Superintendent Randy Wagoner presented the 2013-2014 proposed budget to the Board. The proposed General Fund Budget is $6,560,129 and the Supplemental General is $1,560,000. Total mills for the 2013-2014 school year are projected to be 46.459, an increase of 0.533 over 2012-2013, plus an additional 2.000 for the Recreation Commission. President Gina Booe declared the budget hearing closed at 6:50 p.m.
During the work session, a question was asked about the possibility of the school district providing a preschool for the community. Mr. Wagoner is going to research possibilities.
The regular meeting of the Cherryvale Unified School District #447 Board of Education was called to order by President Gina Booe at 7:00 p.m. at the Central Office. Present were Robert John, John Potthast, Randy Studebaker, Joe Marchant, Gina Booe, and Cody Smith. Michelle Loganbill was absent.
Others present were Craig Bagshaw, Kim Martin, Donna Celaya, George Owens, Steve Pefley, Tonya Smedley, Scott Lambdin, Jo Neuburger, Casey Lickteig, Angela Hugo, Tercia Gustin, Jason Wright, Superintendent Randy Wagoner and Board Clerk Karen Conner.
Motion was made by Randy Studebaker, seconded by Joe Marchant to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
Motion was made by John Potthast, seconded by Randy Studebaker to approve the minutes of the July 8, 2013 regular meeting and the July 9, 2013 Board Retreat. Motion carried 6-0.
The One to One committee gave a presentation to the board regarding technology initiatives beginning at the grades 7 and 8 level. The concept is to provide all 7th & 8th grade students at CMS and at Thayer with personal tablets. Each year thereafter, incoming 7th grade students would receive an individual tablet while an elementary grade would receive classroom tablets. Eventually, all students grades 7-12 would have individual tablets and elementary grades down through 3rd grade would have classroom tablets. Estimated cost for the initial tablet purchase would be approximately $65,000. The board will take the proposal under consideration.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Randy Studebaker, to approve payment of bills, to accept the Treasurer’s Report, and to approve the 2013-2014 Budget as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
Gina Booe gave a report on Tri County Special Education meeting.
Superintendent Randy Wagoner reported on the following:
- An update on summer projects through the district was given to the board. Carpeting has been completed at Lincoln Central. There will be a work day this Saturday, August 17 at the Football/Track facility. Volunteers will meet at 8:00 a.m.
- The file room expansion at Central Office has been started.
- An agenda was reviewed for the August staff development and inservice dates: August 13 – KEEP; August 14 – PD 360; August 23 - New Staff Development and August 26 – All Staff Development.
- Curriculum adaptions for the Common Core Standards were discussed
- Motion was made Randy Studebaker, seconded by Robert John to enter Executive Session from 8:15 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. to discuss non-elected personnel and student issues in order to protect the privacy interests of the individual(s) to be discussed with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present. Motion carried 6-0. Executive Session ended at 8:45 p.m.
- Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Randy Studebaker, to enter Executive Session from 8:45 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. to discuss on-elected personnel and student issues in order to protect the privacy interests of the individual(s) to be discussed with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present. Motion carried 6-0. Executive Session ended at 9:00 p.m.
Mr. Wagoner requested that the addition of the resignation of Nick Hart as Thayer Volleyball Coach be added to Consent Agenda #1. It was requested that Consent Agenda Item 1 be pulled and voted upon separately. Motion was made by Cody Smith, seconded by Randy Studebaker to approve the following Consent Agenda items 2 and 3:
- Approve the Fees and Activities Gate prices as follows: Athletic Gate fees: $4.00 for adults & $3.00 for students @ HS events; $2.00 for adults and $1.00 for students @ MS events; Textbook Rental & Student Fees: $18 for Kindergarten, $25 for grades 1-12; $25 Guitar I and MS Guitar Class Lab fee may be assessed; Meal Prices: Breakfast - $1.15 for students & $2.00 for adults; Lunch - $2.15 for students & $3.30 for adults; .40 for extra milk; Substitute rates: $80 per day with $90 per day after 20 consecutive days in the same assignment; Driver’s Ed fees: In district or USD 447 enrolled students - $100; students living in district but not attending USD 447 - $175; Out of District and not previously or upcoming year enrolled in USD 447 - $290; Diploma Center Registration & fees: $10 (may be waived by administration as enrollment incentive) for all students in or out of district if counted as an FTE during state funding period. An additional $200 non-refundable registration will be charged for students not in attendance for State Funding count period. A $700 fee is suggested for out of state/international students for four classes or a charge of $200 per class individually or additional courses after the initial four due to the fact that state funding for these students is not currently allowed. A fee of $50 per class for credit recovery so that students can graduate on time may be waived by administration due to placement and/or if the classes are required for summer school. In addition, the Cherryvale – Thayer flow chart was reviewed & accepted.
- Approve mentors for the new teachers: Karen Gudde for Wendy Vena; Debbie Reilly for Tessa Odette; Connie Blake for Melissa McGlothin; Melanie Hammer for both Tiffany Chappell and Tracy Ridgeway (all the same grade level at LC) and Holly Clevenger for Julie Richert.
Motion carried 6-0.
Motion was made by Gina Booe, seconded by Randy Studebaker, to approve the following supplemental positions, excluding Harry Hester as HSFB Offensive Coordinator:
- Resignation of Nick Hart as Head Thayer VB Coach
- Janet Bernd and Amanda Whittley, Lincoln Central SIT Co-chairs
- Casey Lickteig, Jr. Class Sponsor
- Melissa McGlothin, Cherryvale MS Cheer Sponsor
- James Renfro & Roman Lopez, Freshman / “C” Team Football Coaches
- Melanie Hammer, Lincoln Central Student Council sponsor
- David Smedley, CHS Football Defensive Coordinator
- Casey Lickteig, CHS Football Special Team Coordinator
- James Houston, Head Thayer VB Coach
- Julie Richert, Assistant Thayer VB Coach and Thayer Quiz Bowl
Motion carried 6-0
Board President Gina Booe adjourned the meeting at 9:05 p.m.