December Board Minutes 2013
Unified School District #447
December 9, 2013
The regular meeting of the Cherryvale Unified School District #447 Board of Education was called to order by President Gina Booe at 7:00 p.m. at the Central Office. Present were Robert John, Joe Marchant, John Potthast, Randy Studebaker, Michelle Loganbill, Gina Booe, and Cody Smith.
Others present were Bob Blackard, Donna Celeya, Steve Pefley, George Owens, Superintendent Randy Wagoner and Board Clerk Karen Conner.
Superintendent Randy Wagoner recommended the addition of Consent Agenda Item 5 – appointment of Joe Marchant and Randy Studebaker as the Board Negotiating Team with Gina Booe as an alternate member. Motion was made by John Potthast, seconded by Robert John to approve the agenda as amended. Motion carried 7-0.
Motion was made by Michelle Loganbill, seconded by Randy Studebaker to approve the minutes of the November 11, 2013 regular meeting. Motion carried 7-0.
The open forum was not signed.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Cody Smith, to approve payment of bills and accept the Treasurer’s Report. Motion carried 7-0.
Gina Booe gave a report on Tri County Special Education meeting. A legislative forum will be held January 16, 2014 in Topeka.
Superintendent Randy Wagoner reported on the following:
A copy of the KSBOE news was discussed
Attendance numb ers for the first semester were reviewed
It has been decided that the com tower would be better not next to a building due to structure integrity. Plans are to construct it to the north of the Middle/High School
School will be dismissed for students at noon on December 20 and the remainder of the day will be spent in staff development and inservice. Items to be discussed and reviewed will be PD 360, personal defense training by Chief Perry Lambert, evaluations and collaboration
Building reports were reviewed
A special Board of Education meeting for the purpose of superintendent evaluation discussions will be held on January 6, 2014 at 6:00 p.m.
1. Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Randy Studebaker to enter Executive Session from 7:16 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. to discuss non-elected personnel and student issues in order to protect the privacy interests of the individual(s) to be discussed with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present and the administrators and Bob Blackard on call. Motion carried 7-0. Executive Session ended early at 7:40 p.m. All individuals present for the meeting prior to the Session were still present.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Cody Smith to approve the following Consent Agenda items:
1. Approve Chad Knight as the additional HS Boys’ Assistant Basketball Coach due to numbers (freshman coach) and explore the need for an assistant basketball coach at Thayer.
2. Approve the retirements of Jo Neuburger, Bob Blackard and Jayne Knight as of the end of the school year and also approve the payment of $1,000 to each for the early notice.
3. Approve the rehire of Bob Blackard in a half-time distract data coordination position for the 2014-2015 year at a salary of $22,000 with no benefits.
4. Approve the K-2 grade card update to accommodate standards based approach
5. Approve Joe Marchant and Randy Studebaker as the Board of Education negotiating team with Gina Booe named as alternate.
Motion carried 7-0.
Board President Gina Booe adjourned the meeting at 7:40 p.m.
Clerk, Board of Education