May Board of Education Minutes 2014
Unified School District #447
May 12, 2014
The regular meeting of the Cherryvale Unified School District #447 Board of Education was called to order by President Gina Booe at 7:00 p.m. at the Central Office. Present were Gina Booe, Robert John, Joe Marchant, John Potthast, Michelle Loganbill and Cody Smith. Randy Studebaker arrived at 7:12 p.m.
Others present were Craig Bagshaw, Tonya Smedley, Kim Martin, Donna Celeya, Jessica Heit, Vince Heit, Marvin Hestand, George Owens, Scott Lambdin, Jason Wright, Kevin Crain, Superintendent Randy Wagoner and Board Clerk Karen Conner.
During the work session, representatives from the Lincoln Central 5th grade class gave a power point presentation on their wish for tablet/pcs to be placed in their classroom for student use. Teachers present were Jessica Heit, Beth Smith and Susie Whitson and those students making the presentation were Camdyn Forman, Matthew Schmitt, Joiren Burns, Harley Allen, Tucker Lang and Trey Leedy. Several options had been developed by the students.
Mr. Wagoner recommended the following additions to the Consent Agenda: #5, Approve the Professional Development Action Plan Goals through the Greenbush PDP Toolbox and add to Consent Agenda #4, $2,000 purchase of lots contingent upon clear title. Motion was made by Michelle Loganbill and seconded by Joe Marchant to approve the amended agenda. Motion carried 6-0.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by John Potthast, to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 14, 2014 and the special meeting of April 23, 2014. Motion carried 6-0.
Kevin Crain gave a report to the Board from the Lincoln Central Site Council. Some of the issues addressed by the Site Council were utilization of the auditorium, playground safety and fencing, outdoor speakers, crosswalk lighting and an outdoor sign.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Robert John, to approve payment of bills and accept the Treasurer’s Report. Motion carried 7-0.
Superintendent Randy Wagoner reported on the following:
Mr. Wagoner updated the board on the school finance legislative decisions
The following summer projects were discussed:
• We plan to switch from the current Global Connect voice system to Infinite Campus Messenger. This system will integrate with our current student attendance software.
• The pavement and asphalt at the middle/high school will be cleaned, patched and sealed.
• We anticipate a major track repair during the summer of 2015.
• Storm doors are being installed in the Thayer School locker rooms
• A French drain is being installed at the northeast corner of the high school. We are hoping this will take care of the drainage problem in that classroom
• Board members brought up handicap accessible bleachers at the football field, which are being planned, and a musty smell at the Lincoln Central computer lab. Mold testing has been conducted and all results are safe.
Athletic Director Rodney Vigil has collected information from surrounding schools on activity passes. An effort will be made to make students more informed of our policy of student activity passes.
We are working with Greenbush in order to increase our preschool to serve 40 children instead of just 24 with there being no qualification rules for the additional 16 other than to be age 4 by August 31. We will investigate a 3-year old preschool option for 2015-2016.
Mr. Wagoner spoke to the board regarding the 5th grade request. We will try to place 2-3 pc’s in each 5th and 6th grade classroom should the budget allow. At this point in time, it does not look as though we will be able to continue the one-to-one initiative at the Middle School level
Building reports were reviewed and questions answered.
1. Motion was made by Randy Studebaker, seconded by Joe Marchant to enter Executive Session from 8:25 p.m. to 8:50 p.m. to discuss non-elected personnel and student issues in order to protect the privacy interests of the individual(s) to be discussed with the Board of Education present and Superintendent Randy Wagoner and George Owens on call. Motion carried 7-0. George Owens entered Executive Session at 8:30 p.m. and exited at 8:46 p.m. Executive Session ended at 8:50 p.m.
2. Motion was made by Michelle Loganbill, seconded by Joe Marchant to enter Executive Session from 8:55 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. for the purpose of discussing negotiations in order to protect the public interest in negotiating a fair and equitable contract with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present. Motion carried 7-0. Executive Session ended at 9:05 p.m.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Cody Smith to enter Executive Session from 9:05 p.m. to 9:20 p.m. for the purpose of discussing negotiations in order to protect the public interest in negotiating a fair and equitable contract with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present. Motion carried 7-0. Executive Session ended at 9:20 p.m.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Cody Smith to enter Executive Session from 9:20 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. for the purpose of discussing negotiations in order to protect the public interest in negotiating a fair and equitable contract with the Board of Education and Superintendent Randy Wagoner present. Motion carried 7-0. Executive Session ended at 9:30 p.m.
Motion was made by Joe Marchant, seconded by Cody Smith to approve Consent Agenda items 1-5:
1. Approve the Social Science Grant from Kansas Social Studies Council for Aaron Rehmert in the amount of $500.00.
2. Approve the hiring of Rex Conner as seasonal maintenance, Terry Clifton for LC Maintenance; Dillon Barton, HS Science; Jamie Jamison, CMHS Language Arts; Tim Bork, Thayer 7th grade; Jay O’Grien, CMHS and Thayer AgEd; reassign Casey Lickteig to Secondary Art; and reassign Josh DeWeese to CMS Science.
3. Approve Resolution 2013-2014-4 to adopt the Region H Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan for FEMA
4. Approve payment for lots located at Montgomery and 8th in the amount of $5,000 and payment for lots on the east side of the middle high school in the amount of $2,000, pending clear title.
5. Approve the Professional Development goals through the Greenbush PDP Toolbox.
Motion carried 7-0.
Board President Gina Booe declared the meeting adjourned at 9:37 p.m.
Clerk, Board of Education